Lunchopolis #32

I didn't make it to the store on the usual schedule, so this is just a simple lunch of half a veggie salami sandwich and Waldorf salad on a bed of romaine lettuce.

Though not especially impressive, this does give me an opportunity to tell you two things I've not yet told you about that I learned transitioning to veganism:

1. It is not that straightforward to find vegan bread. It should be, but it's not. I'll bet you think your bread is vegan, because unless it's egg bread (like challah) or cheesy or something, what could be in it? Whey.  It's everywhere. And if it doesn't have whey, it often has Vitamin D3 in it (a derivative of wool) or honey. I'm getting better at finding the vegan breads (Arnold's breads sometimes have whey, but several kinds of Arnold's bread don't, and the Sara Lee Artisan kind is okay), but early on in this process I found myself on the verge of tears in the bread aisle, wondering if there was anything in the world I could eat.

2. I've had many different kinds of vegan mayo, and honestly, most of them are really pretty good. I hated Trader Joe's store brand, but the rest are good. You wouldn't notice the absence of eggs. But Vegenaise makes a light version, so that's the one I've been getting lately. It's made with flax oil, which is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids for those of us who aren't eating seafood.

Comments

Popular Posts