Sequestration Meal #614

 


In my not-yet-vegan days, one of my favorite easy meals was a bowl of tomato bisque soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. The soup was canned, so it was very easy. For some reason, I really, really wanted to make a creamy tomato soup this summer, to relive that flavor memory.

There are canned tomato soups that are vegan, but not that many (you'd be surprised what ends up in there), and they generally don't have that creamy goodness. So I took another, middle path, because roasting tomatoes in my oven for soup is both not advisable in summer, and way too pricey in my being-careful-with-money-this-season goals. It's also more effort than I wanted to put in for a meal whose selling points included simplicity of preparation.

This is the vegan tomato soup recipe from Nora Cooks. It uses cashews for creaminess and a bit of protein, and the tomatoes come from a can. It was, nonetheless, delicious!

I had some nice bread in my freezer, so I pulled some out to make a grilled vegan cheese sandwich to go with my soup. A sprinkling of chives from my window plant finished off the plating.

This was so good. It's not nearly as high in protein as most of my meals, and I can really only have this as a rare treat on a day I can compensate elsewhere, but sometimes you just have to follow your bliss.

Comments

  1. I have been enjoying soups with cheese toasties this winter, though now I realised I have not had any tomato soup! Better try and rectify that quickly, as it is already warming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too hot for me to eat soup, but I did it anyway--sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts