Lunchbots Quad #17

 


Spicy Asian cucumber salad (my recipe), slices of Honeycrisp apple, steamed rice with a bit of nori crumbled on top, and sesame soy curls (recipe from From My Bowl). I put the apple in a silicone cup since liquids can wander in this box and I didn't want spicy cucumber salad-flavored apples, but this time things stayed where I put them.

The cucumber salad is darker than it usually looks because I had made it a day earlier, so it had more time to soak up the dressing. That, of course, makes it tastier!

These soy curls were good, but not really very sesame-like. Does sesame chicken taste of sesame? I can't remember! I am thinking some sort of tahini-based sauce with soy curls would be pretty tasty, though. Something to try sometime!

One thing I also noticed was that using arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce versus corn starch seemed to make the leftovers more appealing. So that's something else I want to experiment with.

In terms of allergens, this is free of gluten and nuts.

Comments

  1. I LOVE when veggies soak in the marinades we make for them! Sounds great! And I love how simple the rice is - just topped with Nori! I've only made Soy Curls a few times - as they aren't readily available near me - but when I did try them, I liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's crispy nori snacks, which are packaged and prepped and I think involve sesame oil and salt. But still mostly just nori! I discovered soy curls during the pandemic. I bought a case directly from Butler Foods (who makes them). They threw in free vegan jerky and taco meat-flavored TVP, so it was all a win-win for me. I will never be without soy curls again. They're a definite staple these days.

      Delete
    2. Yup! Butler Foods was the one I bought too. Now that I recall correctly I did find them at The Vegan Grocery Store outside of Buffalo when I went in the spring.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember ever having sesame chicken in my pregan days... I don't know that I have seen it very often here in general, maybe it is not popular in Australia? I assumed it would be sesame oil, rather than tahini flavouring it. But a tahini-sauced soy curl also sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the flavor is supposed to come from sesame oil and sesame seeds. I just think some tahini soy curls would be good! I'm full of random thoughts.

      Delete
    2. I like your random thoughts!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts