Monbento Square #52 (Single Tier)

 


I blame my continued struggles with Daylight Savings Time for the whisps of plastic wrap here--it's not actually full-on plastic wrap, though it's some sort of plant-based flexible wrap--but you did not come here to read about plastic wrap. So what I have here is a snow pea and carrot slaw (recipe from Sidewalk Shoes), a segmented clementine, some vegan "tuna" onigirazu, and a few squares of dark chocolate with almonds.

Okay, so this tuna? It's amazing. I found vegan tuna that is tuna. I'm not making sense, but really, I was amazed. I have not eaten tuna in about 8 years, so please bear that in mind--I have no idea how my palate has changed--but this was pretty much what I remembered. In any case, the filling in this onigirazu is just seasoned sushi rice and some Franklin Farms tuna salad (I even used the recipe on their website).

They don't sell the Franklin Farms tuna at my usual store, but I will be buying it again if I run across it!

Okay, so all that said: This was a really satisfying lunch. I only made onigirazu because I was out of bread, but I'm glad I was out of bread--I haven't had onigirazu in a long time, and I haven't branched out from my ruts in a while with regard to onigirazu, either. I've been making some pretty predictable stuff. Plus, this got me using my nori sheets. Nori is one of those things I have been keeping on hand at all times, but I think it might not be something I replace right away when it's gone. I'm holding steady in the use-stuff-up mode, to the extent I can--some stuff I will buy again, and some stuff I'll try to keep from buying.

But it is nice to have when you run out of bread, to be fair. Still, there is always deconstructed sushi bowls, so bravery in a land without a kitchen stocked with nori is in my near future.

Or at least for the next few weeks. Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular Posts