Insulated Jar & Sides #31

Peach slices, vegan red beans and rice (the rice is under there! I promise!), sliced cucumbers, and some everything bagel seasoning in the little chick cup.

I veganized a recipe for red beans and rice I found on the Whole Foods website. It's pretty easy to make, although I don't know how authentic the taste is for purists. If I made this again, I'd be less virtuous and use white rice instead of brown. I think that might elevate it in taste if not in nutrition. And I might add more beans, because there seemed to be a lot of sausage in this. But it was good anyway!

Red Beans and Rice
Serves about 2

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 a small green pepper, chopped
Salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14.5 oz.) can kidney beans
1/2 package of soy chorizo (I used Trader Joe's)
1 cup rice
Heat oil to a shimmer in a medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, and green pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, salting a bit halfway through. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans and chorizo, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

While it simmers, cook the rice as per your usual method (I use a rice cooker). Serve beans over rice.

Comments

Popular Posts