Thermos 3-Tier Bento #1


This is is Couscous with Sweet Potatoes & Yellow Squash from Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You), raspberries, and kiwi.

With winter coming, I invested in a new lunch container. (Did I need an excuse? Hmm.) This is a Thermos bento jar that is kind of a knockoff of Mr. Bento. It has three tiers, with the bottom ones supposedly staying hot while the top one is more room temperature. Instead of Mr. Bento's chopsticks, it comes with a big spoon in a giant spoon-shaped case. I found a photo of the thing on the Target website.


We'll see. The bottom tier was definitely warm but the middle one wasn't as hot as I would have liked--still, that may be because it wasn't really full.

As I continue on this journey of figuring out what veganism is for me--about a year in now--I went through some of the old omnivore cookbooks I'd loved before the transition to find out if there were things I could try in them. It turned out, there are a lot of recipes that are either already vegan or easily veganized. So, having always loved couscous, I gave this one a whirl.

It claims to serve two, but in my opinion it serves something like 4. I think if I made it again I would leave out the chickpeas (I've come to terms with the fact that I don't like chickpeas in their unprocessed form--I need them mashed or pureed, and I'm okay with this) and serve it with some sort of other source of lysine (that's the essential amino acid usually lacking in grains) to complete the protein. I might add cauliflower or something, and I think it could use a hint of green (maybe zucchini instead of yellow squash). I'd also up the couscous-to-veggie ratio. But the flavor profile was nice, and I especially liked the way the couscous tasted when the juice had a chance to soak into it.

A bonus for this not seeming "weird" to omnivores, who are usually oddly skeptical of my food a lot of the time.

Comments

Popular Posts