Lunchopolis #48

Homemade creamy dill dressing (recipe below); a salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and slices of a Gardein chick'n patty, golden beet salad, apple slices, a truffle, and some crunchy Biscoff spread to dip the apples in.

These are Envy apples, which by some weird miracle of breeding don't brown when you cut them. They are also crisp and sweet. They are everything I usually want in an apple. I'm hooked in spite of them being about $3/pound, which is an absurd price to pay for apples in my apple-y region of the country. (I know it's weird to give you a link to a name brand apple (and no, they didn't pay me), but it's really remarkable. I'm somewhat afraid of them. What mysterious magic are they doing to these apples?)

Gardein chick'n patties cost a bit more than Boca in my local stores, but I sometimes splurge because they have such a nice texture. And this time they were on sale, so they were less than the Boca! If you haven't had one of these, you're missing out. They make an amazing chick'n sandwich--and you could probably put this dressing on it if you wanted!

I am also really excited about this dressing. This is a little like ranch dressing, and I really just scaled down a recipe for vegan ranch dressing and tweaked it a little, but to me, ranch should be more tart than this. So here you are: a great, dill-infused creamy vegan dressing to put on salads and dip carrots and whatnot in that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for. This recipe is just enough for one serving.

Creamy Dill Dressing
Serves: 1

2 tablespoons light vegan mayonnaise (I used Vegenaise)
1 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of salt
A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of dried parsley flakes, or several leaves fresh parsley, finely chopped (I used dried)
One sprig of fresh dill leaves, chopped, or about 1 teaspoon of dried dill (I used fresh)

Mix all ingredients well. Serve as a salad dressing, dip, or sandwich spread.

Comments

Popular Posts