Lunchopolis #1

I've had this set a long time, but I hardly ever use it. It's called "Lunchopolis" and it comes with four containers with lids, a bottle for your drink, and an insulated carrying case to put it all in. The issue I had with it was that my portions were always way too big, considering the not-pictured fourth container's size (like the large one shown here, only a little over twice as deep). It would work well for a green leafy salad, but I'm so rarely in the mood for green leafy salads. But today I wanted to take one of the tarts I made last night, and it's the only set I have that would accommodate that. I just left the big container empty. So I have baby carrots, red grapes, a hard boiled egg, a cherry tomato, and a tomato, zucchini, and ricotta tart. The tart is the one on the cover of America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2011:


And I've been drooling over that cover for months now. I am pleased to report that not only are they not all that technically difficult (just time consuming--there's a lot of resting and cooling and such and lots of steps), they taste as good as they look, both warm from the oven and at room temperature on day two. This is what it looked like fresh from the oven:


The only things I'd say are that I'd like to try them with yellow squash, because I think that would be a prettier contrast with the fresh basil sprinkled on them before serving, and that the crust recipe actually makes three tart shells, not two as they say (and I don't know what I'm going to do with tart shell number three now). If ever I have anyone I really want to impress, though, this is a definite thing to serve.

This post is shared on:



Comments

  1. Fill the third with fruit and drizzle a slightly-melted jam or jelly over the top. Refrigerate. Serve with or without real (if you're going to use it in the first place, it must be real!) whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts