Happy Jackson Snack Boxes #31

Grapefruit avocado salad, no-bake peanut butter chocolate chip coconut bites (recipe below), and baby carrots.

I think when most people think of vegan food, they probably think of something like this, a slightly scary looking mashup of plants that may not seem to belong together, if they don't think of bizarre "fake" foods. This may be the most "crunchy" (as the term is used to describe hippy natural foodists) meal I've ever prepared, though some of you may be able to find evidence to the contrary! But it was good. And free of gluten, should that matter.

The salad recipe initially seemed odd to me, but a co-worker had some extra grapefruit she was giving away, so I figured the time was right to try it out. It wasn't epic--I think next time I'll try that other dressing mentioned in the website, the one made of mayo and plum jelly--but it was good.

The peanut butter bites on the other hand? Epic. I packed too many, because they are dense little packets of protein and fat, but I had the extra for an afternoon snack and polished off the whole batch in a day. I adjusted this recipe to make just six little balls and to use no stir peanut butter. I also used sweetened coconut because that is what I had, so these may be too sweet for my crunchy credentials. But need I repeat that they're amazing?

No-bake peanut butter chocolate chip coconut bites
Makes six balls

3 tablespoons shredded coconut
3 tablespoons rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Mix coconut, oats, flaxseed, and chocolate chips in a bowl. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and maple syrup, then dump into the dry ingredients and mix everything together. Form six balls from this. Refrigerate to firm up if you like, or serve as they are.




Comments

Popular Posts