Laptop Lunches #313

Essentially, an assemble-at-lunchtime rice and bean burrito: Flour tortillas, salsa verde, non-dairy sour cream with a sprinkling of cilantro, Mexican rice, and Goya's Rancheros-style refried beans.

The good news is I figured out what I did to mess up my Mexican rice last time I made it (I used the wrong kind of rice). The bad news is that I put way too much turmeric in this batch and it was more dingy brown than an appealing yellow. (I guess I can eyeball it better than using measuring spoons; I do not know why that is.) But I have made good Mexican rice before and I am determined to get it right again.

I know this isn't that much too look at, but this tasted pretty good, though, and that's what mattered to me.

Comments

  1. Oh that’s frustrating when you’ve made a recipe and loved it and then make it again and it’s not the same...! I know that for “spanish rice” which is everywhere in nyc that they use achiote seed or oil to turn it a vibrant color- or more likely a package of Goya sazon. ( which is surprisingly vegan yet includes some questionable preservatives and such)
    Very clever idea to bring diy burritos! I actually bought those beans the other day, and the store had a huge goya selection so i picked up something that’s “black bean soup” but really just seasoned whole black beans to try
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of varieties to try! I really love the Rancheros beans, though.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea! The color doesn't look bad at all in the picture, it all looks quite delicious. Glad that you enjoyed it despite it not turning out exactly as you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rice doesn't look dingy to me! I do enjoy things that you can wrap up and assemble yourself, it makes lunch feel a little more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun lunch! I'm sure you'll get the recipe just right soon enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts