Skater Lunch Box #58

My vegan toasted pastina pilaf, asparagus spears, and lemon pepper tofu.

I did not go to the grocery store over the weekend as initially planned, because I was still pretty ill and grocery shopping has become one of the most exhausting things I do in my life now. It is easier to walk with a shopping cart (shopping carts function as walkers do, and it's nice to be able to lean on one without people knowing I need to), and I genuinely enjoy choosing things and exploring the store, but all the walking around and lifting things and then carrying them up the stairs to my apartment really wipes me out. I hadn't cooked everything I'd purchased last time I was there, so there was still food around, though some things didn't survive the neglect. I was really surprised that my asparagus still looked appetizing.

I don't often buy asparagus but I had a coupon for 99 cents/pound asparagus and I can't not buy asparagus under those circumstances!

The lemon pepper tofu was experimental, and the flavors are right but I baked it too long and it was too chewy. I'll try again and see if a shorter baking time will improve matters.

Comments

  1. You definitely put together a lovely meal despite not getting to the grocery store. The grocery store is overwhelming to begin with so I can definitely see how it would be an exhausting experience for you. You can always freeze produce that you have on hand if you haven't gotten to it in time, it works really well for fruits and veggies. I hope that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes freeze bananas or cooked veggies but asparagus, I wouldn't know how to handle. Would you cook it first?

      Delete
    2. Freezing asparagus is questionable, i would freeze it raw/uncooked and then roast it when you want to cook so it dries out a bit- steaming would definitely turn it to mush (maybe a good thing if you want to make soup)
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. I've always frozen it raw and never had a problem. I either roast it or I throw it in a stir fry. I literally throw all of my raw veggies in a bag and throw it in the freezer and will just use veggies from that back to make soups or stir fries.

      Delete
  2. The food looks lovely, and great that the asparagus lasted. I have had a number of run ins with off asparagus in my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell and slight slimy feeling of off asparagus has hurt my heart before. Especially as it is rarely cheap here.

      Delete
  3. I hope that you’re feeling better now- it sounds like skipping the store was a good decision so you could rest.
    Cheap asparagus is exciting! I picked some up the other day at trader joes, i think it was $2, super thin- tastes like spring :)
    Do you like cabbage? I buy a lot in the winter since it’s cheap and lasts a really long time in the fridge, could be a good one for when you know the next grocery trip may be a while.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabbage is a good idea, actually. This is a good time of year for it, too.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great lunch for not having gone to the grocery store! I still need to try your pastina pilaf recipe, and good luck perfecting your lemon pepper tofu!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts