Lunchopolis #97

 


Here's a classic, grade-school-type lunch for you: Whole grain toast spread with sunflower seed butter and sandwiched with apple slices and granola, some tea biscuits (chocolate and plain), plain potato chips, and some green grapes.

I made this for a few reasons (not that I need to have justification, but I'm just telling you because, well, this is my blog and I say what I want). First, I didn't have leftovers, because I'm trying to let myself cook a bit less these days. As panicky as I may get about the cost of food (and I do, believe me, I annoy myself with my irrational terror over the escalating price of tofu, etc.), I think I can allow myself some grace and not always cook absolutely everything myself. I've been buying things like bread, cookies, and chips and telling myself it's okay to use them here and there.

Plus, there is something to be said--always!--about the creativity that the challenge of just using what you've got brings about. I would prefer a Tofurky sandwich or something similar, but I didn't have anything like that on hand. But I did have apples and sunflower seed butter and bread. At the last moment, I thought it would be fun to add granola, and it was! It softened before I got to eat it at lunchtime, but it still gave some good texture and flavor contrasts.

Anyway. We do our best, and sometimes, it works out.

Comments

  1. i love the idea of adding granola to a seedbutter sandwhich along w/ the apple. I can't wait to try it. thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts