Sequestration Meal #669

 


Here we have a using-stuff-up special: Stuffed shells from the ricotta I had left over from the pizza you saw last week (though hardly any time had passed between the two; more on that below) with the end of a jar of pasta sauce and some vegan mozzarella, which used up the end of a box of jumbo pasta shells, some steamed broccoli, and some Italian-style mushrooms (recipe from Better than Bouillon).

This was pretty good, though I thought the mushrooms were a bit salty for my tastes--that was a lot of bouillon paste. All in all, a good meal.

However, this was the last thing I cooked before slipping and falling in my bedroom while changing clothes and spraining my shoulder when I instinctively attempted to catch myself. This was followed by an extraordinarily challenging time, when I did not photograph the bizarre meals I ate, let alone write about them.

It was my right shoulder, which is my dominant side; I have a whole new appreciation for how connected everything in our bodies is. I have been injured not-too-frequently in my life, but it seems like every time I have been, or when I've been recovering from minor surgery, it's been a huge lesson in ways I never knew X part of my body is involved in Y thing.

I am doing a lot better, but prioritizing taking care of my shoulder, which unfortunately means a bit less cookery happens. Also, I haven't been grocery shopping in a few weeks and I don't expect to go soon, although I have gotten some things delivered. Anyway, what I am saying is that there may be fewer posts, or stranger posts, in this next few weeks. But I'm still here, and I appreciate those of you who continue to read my missives about the meals I eat.

Comments

  1. that sounds terrible. I know you already deal w/ a lot and to have that on top of it made it even more challenging. Thank you for continuing to share your meals and coping skills.
    and yes bodies are amazing and everything is connected - sometimes painfully slow. please continue to be kind and gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has gotten a lot better pretty quickly! I think I'll be pretty much mended in a few weeks.

      Delete
  2. I've started making my own veg bouillon powder in recent months. I don't like the-- unwanted--added ingredients that seem to always appear in even the 'healthier' commercially-produced veg stock cubes or powder. Here's the recipe I use, and really like (from the book "Vegan Slow Cooking", by Kathy Hester):

    Master mix (to be tweaked to taste, it goes without saying):
    1 cup nutritional yeast
    2 tablespoons dried thyme
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon paprika

    Blend all in processor until fine powder. yield: 1/4 cup
    (2 tablespoons powder = 1 bouillon/stock cube)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an intriguing recipe! I may try something like this sometime.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I am so sorry about your shoulder!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts