Sequestration Meal #672

 


If ever one of my meals screamed "dead of winter," this would be it: braised white beans and leeks, roasted brussels sprouts, and some honeynut squash-sauced rotini.

The dregs of my fridge are looking a bit sad, but we do what we do. We trim our brussels sprouts and char the little things in the oven while our winter squash roasts for our sauce. We whip up the sauce using a honeynut squash instead of a butternut squash, using the recipe at Loving It Vegan. We chop up the last of our leeks and braise them with white beans, inspired by but not really following a recipe from Gastonotherapy.

This was pretty delicious and probably never would have happened if I hadn't been forced to figure out something based on sheer necessity. I like other types of cheesy sauces better, but you can't be picky in the situation I was in.

I'm happy to say that although I am in pain a lot of the time, my shoulder is healing, at least, so this really wasn't too challenging to make. These days, I call this an absolute win.

Comments

  1. You had some top-rate "dregs" in your fridge, in my opinion, with which you created a beautiful, healthy and most delicious-sounding meal. I'd be very pleased to have produced these eats. Leeks, a favorite veg, are so delicious and don't receive the attention they deserve, so 'bravo' for having leeks! And it's a nice reminder of the importance of the ancient saying, attributed to Plato: "Necessity is the mother of invention."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of my better efforts! I'd love to hear more about what you do with leeks. I really like them, but there aren't that many recipes that call for them.

      Delete
  2. This is from the dregs of your fridge? I would pay someone for this meal. Gimme, please!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts