Sequestration Meal #691

 

 
I have found another averse-to-protein-but-must-eat-protein hacks, and this is one of my favorites ever. Here we have mashed potato salad with leeks (recipe from Veggie Society), a basic avocado-cucumber-tomato salad, and a simple carrot slaw.

I wanted vegetables. Veggies are my comfort food, especially when one of those veggies is potatoes. And leeks are always welcome, even if they rarely show up. This potato salad recipe ingeniously uses a homemade tofu mayo as the base for the dressing. While I wouldn't necessarily use that as a spread for a sandwich, it was amazing in this salad, and I used some of it for the carrot slaw, too, with great results.

It's not as rich as a mayo might more typically be, though it does have some oil in it. It was very eggy in a surprising way thanks to the kala namak. And it meant I didn't have to specifically make a "protein" side to this meal. I just got to have half a bowl full of potato salad. To me, that's a definite win. I see those Korean potato salad sandwiches in my future.

The leeks are a special something extra that I really appreciated in this salad, too. It was a pretty straightforward recipe that was very easy to make, something else needed at the moment. I'm giving a hard sell to these potatoes, so just eat the potatoes--trust me on this.

As for the rest, I just made things I can make on autopilot while I was boiling the potatoes. I chopped up some cucumber, halved some cherry tomatoes, sliced some red onion, chopped half an avocado, and chopped up some cilantro, then mixed all that with equal parts fresh lemon juice and olive oil, and finished it all off with flaky sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. It was going to be good; it always is.

And I shredded a few small carrots, mixed them in some tofu mayo, added salt and pepper, and called that good. Sometimes I'll add celery and apple, but not today (I didn't have apple anyway).

This and a cup of hot tea was all I could ask for.

Comments

Popular Posts