Restaurant Review: Whiskey Kitchen

This is the last of my reviews from Raleigh; after this I return to packed lunches for a while.

Some friends I met up with in Raleigh who had their own dietary concerns wanted to eat at the Whiskey Kitchen, because they accommodated some particular restrictions they had. On the surface, it was the least vegan friendly of places I went, but it actually wasn't hard to find something to eat. I ordered the tofu bahn-mi without mayo and had the wedge taters on the side. (Anybody who calls potatoes "taters" instantly wins the battle between potatoes and salad for me.)

This turned out to be one of my favorite meals in Raleigh! They make their own ketchup (a fact that is undersold, I think, on their menu), and it was delightful. The sandwich had plenty of good flavors without the mayo, and the tofu was seasoned perfectly.

The restaurant itself is also worth mentioning--it's a really beautiful place, with lots of natural light coming in from the skylights and fresh air coming in through the big garage doors they left open (the weather was accommodating for that on the day I ate there). I probably should have taken pictures of that, too, but I was feeling self-conscious taking pictures that day.

There weren't a whole lot of options for vegans here, but I could have also had the nikka noodle bowl or put together a meal from a salad and the "small plates" part of the menu with market veggies, boiled peanuts, wedge taters, and/or homemade pickles. It was a good compromise for my omnivore-but-restricted friends and me.

General thoughts: The Whiskey Kitchen served me a good meal in a beautiful environment. Service was prompt but, for lack of other words, odd; my friend asked for a salt shaker and the server clearly saw when she tried to use it and the lid came off and poured salt all over her potatoes and just walked away without a word. I'm not going to take off many points for that because I imagine that doesn't often happen and most people wouldn't be likely to react that way. Vegans may have few choices here but it's worth a trip with omnivores if you need an option like that. 4/5

Comments

  1. Ooooh that sandwich looks delicious and those wedge taters, yum!! They look well seasoned and delicious. I'm glad you were able to find something there, and something so delicious on top of it. I love natural light so the restaurant sounds really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really lovely meal. A sandwich and some hot fried potatoes (or taters) is a classic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome lunch! I once got some potatoes while traveling in Missouri solely because the place (Fred & Ricky's) called them "agitaters" haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts