Thermos 3-Tier Bento #24

Orange slices, crescent rolls, and mock chicken noodle soup.

I had the idea to make mock chicken noodle soup from the Long Island Vegan's No Chicken Noodle Soup. I made it almost exactly like hers, but I've never seen soy curls in any store around here so I used Beyond Chicken strips, chopped into smaller pieces. I also added a bit of garlic salt. My noodles were tiny tubettini, which you can barely see--I like my soup noodles on the small side. They seemed to soak up all my broth so I added more water, which helpfully addressed the issue of me having added perhaps too much garlic salt.

This was a really good soup. With crescent rolls, it was more or less the perfect meal for the rainy day I prepared it on. Of course, I have no self control when it comes to crescent rolls, and I ate the entire can of them (8 rolls) in two days. (They're a lovely breakfast, though! Or a great dessert if you serve them with a bit of jam or syrup. Basically I will just eat all the crescent rolls. I warned you.) I like to make more of a production out of soup, but I am trying to reign myself in and save my energy for other things I need to do. The soup was good, anyway, so maybe that's a lesson for me about making a production out of things. I am curious about how this soup would be with a bay leaf added while it simmers, though! (I can't help myself, apparently.)

Comments

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad you made it and that you enjoyed it!!! If I see the soy curls I'll bra some for you, they are so good in this soup! Crescent rolls are a perfect addition and I love fresh fruit with comfort meals. It brings a little freshness and I love that.

    I know what you mean about making a production out of things but the beauty of soup is throwing stuff in a pot and letting it do its thing! I think throwing a bay leaf in is a harmless and easy adjustment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks like the perfect lunch! I love Sarah's recipe; I've made the soup several times already, sometimes with my own variations depending on what I have on hand. I usually have crackers with it, but the crescent rolls sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the crescent rolls with another plan in mind but sometimes you just have to roll with what you've got. But they are SO GOOD anyway that it doesn't matter.

      Delete
  3. Yeah crescent rolls don’t last long near me either! Pasta in soup always sucks up so much broth that i either cook it and keep it seperate til I’m ready to rewarm and have the soup or i just end up using something like quick cooking barley or whatever instead.
    Soup is such the perfect winter meal! I have it several times a week :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad that we don't have crescent rolls here. I see them every year on blogs and Instagram and I want them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts