A Review of New Things I've Tried #25 (Vegan Proteins Edition)

There's a lot of protein in the world. Sometimes you get tired of having nuts and beans and seeds and you go looking for something in a package. Here are three more of the new ones I've found.

1. Good Catch Naked Plant Based Tuna

I've not had tuna in long enough that I can't quite tell you what it is like, though I have some vague memories of it. This plant-based tuna is firm and dry the way I remember the more solid pack tuna or tuna in a pouch being, though. I personally feel the chunks are a bit too big, but presumably you could break them up. This is made of a blend of beans, but it definitely doesn't taste like beans. Also, it has a pretty strong fish smell, probably from the seaweed powder listed in the ingredients. I find that smell a bit off-putting but the smell isn't quite so strong after you mix it into something. I liked this, but I don't know if it is worth the price. One pouch makes enough salad for two sandwiches, but costs about $3.50. It's not the most expensive vegan protein imaginable but it's not what I'd call cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not sure I'd have this outside pandemic life, but it is shelf-stable, and very few of the mock meats can claim that.

2. Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon


Did I forget to take the photo until after I'd opened the package? Why yes, yes I did. This bacon is more like the faux bacon my mother used to give us as children than it is like I remember pork bacon being like. She either gave us Sizzlean or turkey bacon. Does anyone else remember Sizzlean? It was cheaper than regular bacon (I think it was beef, pork, and turkey all mixed together and formed into strips) so I'm sure that's why she bought it. I never much cared for the regular pork bacon, so I haven't missed that at all. But I may be the only person on earth who actually preferred Sizzlean to traditional pork bacon. For whatever reason, this reminds me of that, and personally I really like it. It is a bit weird that it's "saucy," but the sauce evaporates when you cook it and may be what makes this bacon brown nicely in the pan.

3. Morningstar Farms Chik Patties


Although I still maintain that the best vegan chicken patties are Gardein's, these are a perfectly suitable substitute. What I want to know is why all of the vegan chicken patties like these are perfectly round discs. Maybe it is easier to manufacture that way, but I can't help but think they'd be more versatile and look more appetizing if they had a less symmetrical shape. Do you have opinions on this?

Comments

  1. We have burgers and schnitzels here of the vegan chicken variety. The burgers are always perfectly round, which I don't mind, it does make for a cute looking burger. The schnitzels are a longer oval shape.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts