Sequestration Meal #286

 

A funny thing happened in isolation. I found a new-to-me vegan protein that was shelf-stable. So of course I ordered it, even though I did balk slightly at the price. I'll say more about Good Catch later, too, but in a nutshell, it's a canned tuna substitute. I kept my fingers crossed that it would be better than the frightening "Vegan Toona" that an earlier iteration of me tried and found to be a greasy mess.

Taste testing canned tuna means, of course, tuna salad. There are a few zillion other applications, but the first one anyone should start with is tuna salad. They have a recipe on their website, too, which I decided to follow mostly to ensure I got the quantity of ingredients right. It makes way, way too much dressing, just so you know; you could easily cut the mayo, etc. in half, I think.

I did, however, love that the recipe called for capers. I don't know why I've never thought to put capers in my mock tuna salads. Usually I use dill pickle relish, or chopped dill pickles. But the same briny goodness comes through with capers, plus you get to feel sophisticated. And the recipe called for dill, too, so the bases were covered. I used dry dill and left out the horseradish, but otherwise made the recipe as written.

White toast is the best vehicle for trying tuna salad; multigrain bread would likely come later. So I made a sandwich that was both more like and less like tuna salad than I've had in a long time--I don't know if I can explain, except to say that I may break up the "tuna" more later, because I liked my tuna in smaller chunks than this. But it was tasty, and made for a fun pandemic lunch. What a wide and wonderful world we live in, where people make beans into tuna.

I expect I will have the weekend off from posting this weekend again; I'm still catching up on a lot of things. Stay safe out there, everyone.

Comments

  1. I have not had good luck with tinned vegan tunas, but this one sounds like it is not too bad? Adding capers is a fun idea, I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one isn't bad. It's not quite like anything else I've had, but it does kind of get that dry texture of the chunky tuna--maybe even closer to solid pack.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts