Staycation Meal #1

Time for a new series?

I'm still "sequestered;" my doctor reasserted that I need to be extra vigilant, especially with COVID on the rise again and everything, so Thanksgiving week was a solo one. (I'm super introverted though, so honestly, I was grateful for the excuse...anyone else feel that way?)

It was also a good time for me to try some new-to-me stuff alongside some old favorites. Here we have my attempt at making a Korean folded omelet using JUST Egg (success was moderate but not great), some Korean-style zucchini pancakes (hobak buchim) with dipping sauce, gochujang cauliflower (recipe from Table for Two), Korean-style beet salad (one of those Korean-Soviet recipes I love, from Lavender and Macarons), doenjang pepper salad, and rice.

This was fun, though it was kind of a lot of trouble. But when it's a Sunday and you're puttering around the house with the full knowledge you don't have to go to work again for 8 days, sometimes you just go to that trouble. I adore the beet salad, so that was the whole inspiration for making a this meal, but I also still had some mini peppers to use and I knew the doenjang pepper salad is delicious. There was a bit of cauliflower that needed using, plus I wanted something spicy, so that recipe was also easy to include. 

I then realized I really needed to use up some sad zucchini, and I love these little pancakes, so I made them, but they didn't turn out quite as good as before--still delicious, mind you, but I think the zucchini may have been too watery. But hey, not everything works out all the time.

You can't really see much scallion in my omelet, but trust me, it was there along with the carrot! I had trouble with the JUST Egg sticking, even to my very nonstick pan, and making a rolled omelet is clearly something that would take some practice to get right. As it was, I ended up with a kind of lumpy log, but I could still cut it into pieces that would work with chopsticks and show off their cute little veggies inside, so it's a half-win.

I'm glad to have the time off, to decompress, and to have a little more to show you for a bit.

Comments

  1. No you are not the only one who doesn't welcome a big thanksgiving gathering. I'm glad you were so creative in nurturing yourself. looking forward to some more recipes in the staycation series. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am back to work this week, but the week off helped SO MUCH.

      Delete
  2. I want everything you had for your Thanksgiving week eats--all look very delish. According to the Myers-Briggs, I'm right in the middle between introvert and extrovert, but I do love having time away from other people (having a highly people-oriented job).
    Here's an interesting read from yesterday's Guardian UK news, which, if you are in to probiotics in your diet, you might appreciate: https://www.theguardian.com/wellness/2023/nov/27/probiotics-plastics-fermented-food-bacteria-stomach-benefit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as deliberate about probiotics as some people are, but I do love a good pickle!

      Delete
  3. There is something so nice about puttering around the kitchen and taking your time with things. Keep safe. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts