Recipe: Pumpkin Oatmeal

As you know if you've been following along, I've been looking for more ways to use pumpkin. Well, here's one of my favorite new-to-me ways!


A gently spiced, creamy pumpkin oatmeal really says fall, doesn't it?

This recipe is adapted from the House of Yumm, but I didn't want to make quite so much oatmeal, plus I had quick-cooking oats on hand rather than old fashioned. It's one of my favorite breakfasts now. I like my oatmeal a bit thin, as you can see, but you can reduce the soy milk by a few tablespoons if you want it thicker.

The garnishes are totally optional but in my opinion they take this to the next level.

Pumpkin Oatmeal
Serves 1

1 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
Pinch of salt
2-3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for optional garnish
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for optional garnish
Pinch of cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
Non-dairy half-and-half (optional)

Mix soy milk, salt, pumpkin, maple syrup, and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Stir in oats and cook, stirring, for one minute.

Remove from heat and let stand for 3-4 minutes.

Pour into your serving bowl. Top with a drizzle of maple syrup, some non-dairy half-and-half, and sprinkling of cinnamon.

Comments

  1. This sounds lovely! I rarely think to use pumpkin in sweet-type dishes, in Australia it is used for savoury. But since following US people I have seen that there are so many more ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin is usually sweet in America, but so I guess I'm expanding the other way with risotto and stuff like that, too--I think most people would have it pie or maybe cake but that's as far as it would go.

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin oatmeal sounds amazing; I'll definitely have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made this for breakfast today and it was amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts