Sequestration Meal #573

 


As I've been making my way through seasonal produce, I realized I'd been neglecting the always-in-season produce. Also, I was reminded in these challenging times that plantains are super cheap, as well as always in season, so: Sweet plantain and black bean bowl it is!

I made this largely based on this recipe from Afro Vitality Eats. I used a jalapeno rather than a scotch bonnet or habanero (because I am not that brave), and I used canned beans. Aside from cutting the recipe in half, I otherwise made it as written, though. This dish is known as dodo and beans in West Africa, as I understand it. It's delicious! I don't know why plantains aren't brought into American cooking more, since we've adopted so many other things, but I suppose that's good because it keeps them cheap. We wouldn't want to drive the price up like we have done with anything trendy.

With the jalapeno, I found this delightfully spicy but not overpowering. The flavors went really well with the sweetness of the ripe plantains, too. And if you're avoiding allergens and tired of the usual rotation of rice, potatoes, and quinoa, you can also throw plantains in here and there to shake things up.

Here's to finding good things, no matter what else is going on!

Comments

  1. You have a lot going on! Only go out to get plantains if they would truly make you happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts