Temari Rabbit 2-Tier Bento #108

Rice and maple-glazed tofu (recipe below) topped with sesame seeds and scallions, a simple salad (it was meant to be less simple but I ran out of time), and a homemade carrot-ginger dressing.

Can you believe VeganMoFo is over? It was so much fun to blog every day, and I do usually blog most days, but you may see me take breaks sometimes this month, because that was really a marathon. I've also noted that I haven't updated the Food for Dissertating Facebook page or the recipe indexes in a while, and an update of the blogs I follow is also well overdue, so I'll do that when I find the time and energy.

I think I mentioned earlier that I had decided to buy a proper blender rather than just using an immersion blender all the time, and so now I can make things like this carrot-ginger dressing that require somewhat more powerful blades to handle. This stuff was so good I immediately patted myself on the back for buying a blender that could liquefy a raw carrot. It's also a nice recipe for me because I've been adding more ginger to my diet because it's supposedly a good natural pain reliever. (For a host of medical reasons unrelated to myasthenia gravis, I can't really take most available painkillers, so I've had to go exploring alternatives. Even if it's just a placebo effect, the ginger has helped me.)

The maple-glazed tofu was a gift from my omnivore self, I think. Back when I was in slight denial about needing to transition to a vegan diet, I came up with a recipe that was almost vegan, but not quite, for a honey glazed tofu. But I noted that vegans could probably easily veganize it, so I decided to trust pre-vegan me and try. It worked. So here's the vegan version of that recipe.

Maple Glazed Tofu
Serves 2

1/2 block (about 7 oz.) firm or extra firm tofu
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 scallion, sliced thinly (optional)
Sesame seeds (optional)

Drain and lightly press the tofu by your preferred method. I like to press mine on cloth napkins between two plates with a can or two on top for a bit.

Mix maple syrup, soy sauce, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; set aside.

Cut it into two large rectangles, then either cube or cut into even triangles. Shapes don't really matter here. It's just what you're in the mood for.

Heat oil in a nontsick skillet. Add tofu and brown on all sides.

Add syrup mixture and reduce heat. Simmer, turning the tofu occasionally to coat in the glaze. When it seems to have thickened enough for your taste, remove from heat.

Serve topped with scallion slices and sesame seeds, if desired, with rice.




Comments

  1. That tofu sounds great! There are definitely a lot of vegan sweeteners we can use instead of honey these days. But maple has such a lovely flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes! There is a sugar maple near where I work and I secretly want to try tapping it. (I won't. I am no vandal. But in some ways, it feels like a waste to have a sugar maple nobody harvests!)

      Delete
  2. Omg that tofu is beautiful! I DEFINITELY have to try this recipe. It would probably be good on the soy curls too! If you can't find them online or in stores let me know, I can probably pick some up and send them over to you. Anyway, thanks for the recipe and I can't wait to try the carrot ginger dressing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, Sarah! I have seen them on Amazon but I try to stick to brick-and-mortar stores (I do not always succeed). Where do you buy them, when you see them? It seems like the sort of thing that ought to be at a local health food store.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, your maple-glazed tofu sounds amazing! I have some tofu I need to use up soon; I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do try it, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Just made it last night for dinner; it was great!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts