Recipe: Cheesy Apple Butter Sausage Breakfast Bake (Vegan, Nut Free)

 


When I was stranded without a car (or at least, without a functional one; I had a hunk of useless metal when the waters receded), but still a somewhat well-stocked pantry (but getting closer to reasonable, would-restock levels!), I needed to pull meals together based on what I had. Fortunately, the weather had turned cool, and I could turn on the oven. I decided to attempt to veganize and scale down a breakfast casserole recipe I'd found. Not only was it successful, it was amazing.

This is sweet and savory all at once. It was perfect comfort food when the world was ending, and it's also pretty easy. This is a great fall breakfast option, and impressive enough to serve at a brunch, too. Plus it kept well in the fridge, so I got to have it four days in a row (and I never got tired of it).


Cheesy Apple Butter Sausage Breakfast Bake
Serves: 4

3/4 cup veggie sausage crumbles (I used Wegmans Don't Be Piggy crumbles)
1 package refrigerated crescent roll dough
1/2 cup JUST Egg scramble (or a similar egg substitute)
1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 cup apple butter
1/4 cup plant-based shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 375 degreees.

Brown sausage in a skillet following package directions.

Spray a 1.5 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Roll the crescent dough in accordance with the package directions and put them in a single layer in the bottom of your casserole dish. They will touch and will probably be a pretty tight fit.

Mix JUST Egg, almond milk, apple butter, and cheddar in a small bowl.

Spread sausage evenly over the crescent dough. Carefully pour the JUST Egg mixture over the top, taking care to cover the surface evenly.

Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Serve.

Comments

  1. OK this looks amazing AND I just happen to have 1/4 cup of apple butter in my freezer that I have been looking for just the right recipe for. Apple butter is hard to find here, so I must use it wisely!
    We don't have crescent rolls here though... do you think it would work over some puff pastry? Or maybe just leave out the dough all together and serve it with a croissant or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crescent rolls aren't like croissants, but that could work, maybe? It may be a totally new thing. You'll have to let me know how it turns out if you try it! I'd lean more toward canned biscuit dough if you have that, but I would think that would be less likely in Australia than crescent dough. You could perhaps make it with pizza dough, cut into triangles and rolled into crescents.

      Delete
    2. No canned biscuit dough here either. I could make biscuit dough though. Or perhaps do the pizza dough idea. So with the crescent roll dough, you make it into the rolls as directed, and then the dough cooks while you are baking the casserole? Trying to get an idea of what it would be like.
      Alternative could just use some cubed bread or something to bake one of those strata breakfast casserole type things, but with the flavour of the toppings.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the dough cooks when you bake it. Crescent rolls are made from a yeast dough and they tend to be pretty soft. There are recipes for crescent roll dough online, though for some reason the homemade ones tend to have eggs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts