Laptop Lunches #308

Garlic toast, some boiled potatoes, the green bean casserole from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook, and steamed carrots.

I was so glad I had some french fried onions left over from Thanksgiving so I could make this green bean casserole again--although there isn't any clear barrier to me just buying french fried onions and making it anytime I please, I guess. I have a co-worker who confessed to never having eaten green bean casserole, so I gave her some and she asked for the recipe. It's really one of the most astonishing feats I've accomplished in the kitchen, I think, to make that casserole taste so much like I recall the original tasting, but I think the original mostly tastes of the onions, so maybe I shouldn't be all that surprised.

I thought about making mashed potatoes to go with this, but I decided on something simpler, inspired by the 1950s (which is the era of origin of the original green bean casserole, after all). I just boiled some yellow potatoes, poured a bit of melted Earth Balance over them, and sprinkled them with salt and parsley. This was nice! You don't always have to pull out all the stops. Sometimes a stop or two is enough.

Comments

  1. OMG you have me craving some garlic toast! This meal looks incredible, I've only had green bean casserole once in my life and I remember it being yummy. It has never been a part of our Thanksgiving though. I should follow your lead and make some and you're right… it can be made any time of year! And I agree, sometimes you just need to pull out enough stops to get you through and more times than not it'll be more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green bean casserole is something I have only explored with my US vegan cookbooks, it is not something common in Australia. But I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade green bean casserole is good! I didn’t grow up with the original using canned beans (which are a texture dealbreaker for me) but i’ve made it from scratch few times and love it!
    Simple potatoes with “butter” and salt make me very happy
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts