10 Caffeine-Free Vegan Hot Drinks

 It's cold. I mean, seriously cold. This weekend, many of you will be under piles of snow. So I figure this is a great time to share ten new-to-me vegan hot drinks I've tried recently. These are the winter substitute for my morning smoothie that I have so often in warmer weather, and typically they accompany breakfast, but you could have them any time.

I have no philosophical objection to caffeine, but I'm not supposed to have it for medical reasons. I'm un-caffeinated, and yet I get up at about 5:45AM most mornings and stay alert throughout the day, most of the time. I recognize many of you will prefer your morning coffees, but you may want to try these anyway. They're delicious! And they don't all have chocolate or cocoa powder in them. When I branch out, I branch out. But don't worry. Chocolate is well-represented anyway.


1. Avena Caliente (Gluten Free, Nut Free)

This is a Dominican hot breakfast drink made of oats and (in this case soy) milk, blended together and simmered with spices and brown sugar. This one did not disappoint! It's warm and thick and sweet, all wonderful things on a freezing morning. I veganized this recipe from Dominican Cooking with soy milk, but you could probably use whatever plant milk you like.


2. Chocolate de Maní (Gluten Free)

While I was exploring Dominican recipes, this one also jumped out at me. Chocolate de maní is a Dominican peanut milk drink, and contains no chocolate. They apparently just call it that because it's served hot. You start by blending peanuts with (in this case soy) milk and a bit of salt, then adding spices and sugar and simmering it for a bit. I loved this, but I would have expected that, since I love peanuts and nearly every plant milk, and both together is just amazing. I veganized this recipe from Tara's Multicultural Table by using soy milk, but I imagine you could use almost any plant milk here.


3. Spicy Golden Milk Turmeric Latte (Gluten Free)

I've had a less complex golden milk latte before, but this one from Fit Mitten Kitchen really intrigued me, plus I had some coconut milk to use up, so why not? I left out the coconut oil because I was using full fat coconut milk and that seemed like enough fat for me. This was delightfully spicy, with a bit of a bite from fresh ginger and black pepper, plus it had cardamom in it (one of my absolute favorite spices). I used soy milk for the protein, and it was a really great, energizing start to the morning. I had a muffin from my freezer stash with this and was perfectly satisfied.


4. Whole Foods Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


I was intrigued by this recipe from Nourished by Caroline because it didn't involve any kind of milk at all--not just no dairy, no milk! It's also easier to make than most other hot cocoas are. You just blend cashews, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and dates with boiling water. It ends up just as sweet and creamy as any cocoa I've ever made, and it's a nice option for when I run out of soy milk!

5. Maple Tahini Cafix Latte (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


Since strong-brewed Cafix can easily stand in for coffee, I found it easy to make this recipe from Create Mindfully to adapt to my needs. This was sweet and rich and definitely hit the spot! I loved the depth of flavor the tahini brought to the drink.

6. Sweet Potato Hot Chocolate (Nut Free, Gluten Free)


For this one, you'll make a basic hot chocolate--soy milk, chocolate, maybe some cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt warmed on the stove before adding some vanilla--and add some mashed sweet potato and some cinnamon to the mix. If it's not sweet enough, add a bit of maple syrup. This is particularly decadent, but it feels like that time of year to me!

7. Molasses Milk (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


This is one of the easiest, but most flavorful, hot drinks I've had with breakfast! It's just a cup of hot soy milk blended with a tablespoon of molasses. I did not originate this, but I cut it down from this recipe from Eating Rules. I would definitely have this again.

8. Cardamom Cashew Butter Hot Cocoa (Gluten Free)


As I've said many times, I'll try almost anything with cardamom. I also truly adore cashew butter. So when I saw a recipe that combined those things with cocoa at Upbeat Kitchen, of course I made it! This is a nice, not-too-sweet cocoa with a good amount of protein--perfect for a cold morning.

9. Sweet Potato Latte (Nut Free, Gluten Free)


This fun, orange drink has no coffee; it's mashed sweet potato, cinnamon, maple syrup, and soy milk all blended together like a smoothie and heated up. This is based roughly on a Korean drink, the goguma latte, which is made with Korean white sweet potatoes, but I think it works with our orange American ones, too. It's a thick, satisfying drink to warm me up on a chilly morning.

10. White Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows (Gluten Free)


For a decadent start to your morning, bring a cup of soy milk to a slight simmer in a small pot, then add 2 tablespoons of vegan white chocolate chips, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until the white chocolate chips have melted. Pour into a mug and top with some vegan mini marshmallows. This is really satisfying on a frigid morning.


How do you start your winter mornings? Do you have any suggestions for other fun drinks I might try?

Comments

  1. I am making so many notes for when it cools down here, most of these sound incredible! I have a very large selection of caffeine free teas, infusions, latte powders, and hot chocolate mixes for when it gets cold here... which means most of the year they just sit in the cupboard unused. But when their time comes, it is a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but you're in smoothie season! So many options! And several of these would be good iced, too.

      Delete
    2. Can you believe I haven't had a single smoothie? I think about it sometimes, but for some reason my stomach just doesn't want cold sweet liquid. I am determined that I will get at least a few in this season! I just need my appetite to comply.

      Delete
    3. I actually can believe that! Sometimes you want what you want. Are you interested in iced lattes? Some of those can be good, too.

      Delete
    4. Yes! I love iced lattes! And iced tea. I just need to remember to actually make them ahead of time so they can get full of flavour and nice and cold.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts