Sequestration Meal #519

 


Though I didn't really do anything for Christmas except to relish having some time off, and it's a bit weird to make Christmas dinner with whatever you have left after a month of avoiding the grocery store, when Christmas rolled around I found myself wanting to have a special meal. Plus, it was cold and I wanted to have the oven on for a while.

I pulled out one of my Tofurky hams that I'd bought just before Thanksgiving to keep myself stocked throughout the year--which was two hams, plus some other roasts; I'm not going to have ham every month or anything--and while it was baking, I put in some potatoes to roast. The recipe was from Six Vegan Sisters, and the potatoes turned out to be the star of this show. Seriously. Make these potatoes. They're easy but so good. Also, you have an excuse to have the oven on for about an hour, which is perfect when it's about 10 degrees out.

I had some broccoli stems left, so I tried making some mashed broccoli with it based on the recipe at Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It was good, but stems aren't so green as the florets, and my broccoli looks rather pale as a result. Oh, well.

Finally, I veganized a recipe for orange glazed carrots from Taste of Home. It was a bit too sweet for my tastes, but hey, it was Christmas, and a lot of people seem to like really sweet veggies on holidays, so I just chose to enjoy them. (But seriously, they could have been dessert.)

After Christmas, comes grocery shopping; I hadn't planned to avoid it this long or else I'd probably wait until after New Year's Day. But I am coming out of this "fast" of sorts thinking I should probably do less frequent shopping overall this winter, or find a way to convince myself to buy far less when I go. Except that a well-stocked pantry is a necessity in winter, really. (This is why I never change.)

Comments

  1. This looks like a very well planned Christmas dinner. Incredible that you made it just with what you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the skills I'm most proud of! I may have earned it through experiences I don't wish on people, but I can make something out of nothing when I have to do it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts