Sequestration Meal #516

 


I really loved the sausages I had made last week, so I made more! This time I had them with a crunchy cabbage casserole (recipe veganized from A Garden for the House), sauteed onions and peppers, and some orange ginger-glazed carrots (recipe from Live Longer Cookbook (1992)).

Avoiding the grocery store has resulted in a lot of carrots, I'm realizing--it seems like carrots are turning up in every meal--but I love carrots, so that's fine. This particular recipe is a nostalgic one for me, because I remember making it many times for special family dinners when I was a teenager. It's a very easy one--put stuff in a pot and boil it for a bit--and it has a lovely citrusy flavor.

The casserole is one of those strange paradoxes where, when I first tasted it, I thought it was okay, but as I continued to eat it I fell in love with it and kept wanting more. I mostly made it to do something slightly different with cabbage, and although it does not unseat the braised cabbage with onions and carrots as my favorite way to eat cabbage, it was still pretty great. It was easy, too--just layer cabbage, onions, potatoes, seasonings, and some (vegan) butter, then bake. I did wish it had more potatoes, though. But French fried onions make almost everything amazing, really.

Comments

Popular Posts