Recipe: Vegan S'mores Mug Cake

I am either about to be your favorite person or your worst enemy. I guess that depends on whether you think it's good to have the possibility of a fancy little cake you can easily whip up in five minutes. On the one hand: Dessert! On the other: Should we eat that much dessert?

This is a mug cake recipe, but I make it in a small glass bowl because that's prettier. Just know if you don't have the right sized little bowl, it doesn't matter. You can make it in a mug.

This was born when I began experimenting with variations on a favorite mug cake recipe I learned from the internet long ago and made so many times I memorized the recipe. I am nearly positive it was this one from Nora Cooks, but I'm not 100% certain. I've done all sorts of things with that recipe as a jumping off point, and I love that it is out there in the world to play with.

A few notes on the ingredients here:

  • Most graham crackers seem to have honey in them these days (Sylvester Graham would not approve, but then, he disapproved of most things). But the original Nabisco grahams do not, and they're what I usually buy. Others apparently exist, however.
  • There are non-vegan chocolate sauces, so make sure yours is vegan, but it shouldn't be hard to find one that is. A thicker, sundae-style sauce works best here but use what you've got. You can make your own, too, if you're feeling industrious. (I am rarely feeling industrious when it comes to mug cakes.)
  • The marshmallow ice cream topping I used is Smuckers. It's one of those accidentally vegan wonders. But you could substitute vegan mini marshmallows, too, which I think would be really fun. I'd probably put them on top of the cake batter before cooking it if I used mini marshmallows.

Vegan S'mores Mug Cake
Serves: 1

2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons plant-based milk (I've used both soy and almond and they both work great)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons non-dairy chocolate chips
1 graham cracker sheet
Chocolate sauce
Marshmallow ice cream topping

In a mug or small microwave-safe bowl with straight sides, mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder well. (I often use a fork.) Add oil, plant-based milk, and vanilla. Mix until you no longer see anything dry in it. Carefully sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the batter.

Microwave on high for 50-60 seconds. You don't want it to get too done. It's okay if it's not set all the way (it's like lava cake that way), and it's also okay if you want it more solid. You do you.

Remove from the microwave. Crumble the graham cracker sheet over the cake. Top with chocolate sauce and marshmallow ice cream topping. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving, but eat warm.

Comments

  1. This sounds awesome! It's been forever since I've made a mug cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mug cakes! This sounds very yummy.
    I can never get graham crackers here, let alone vegan ones, so I always substitute digestive biscuits for them. Which I know are not the same, but do a pretty good job! I think I had graham crackers once that my friend brought me when she was visiting from the US. And they were Sweet & Sara ones. RIP Sweet & Sara, I did love their marshmallows when I visited the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to try Sweet & Sara! By the time I learned they made those cereal marshmallows, only vegan, they were gone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts