10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas (Compilation #49)

Spring is here! With rain and a bit of dreariness we get some good seasonal food options, too. Apparently, I was really into chocolate this time. But my appetite was apparently also whetted for veggies, so you'll see several vegetable-based breakfasts here.


1. Tropical Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free Option)


With somewhat warmer weather, I can start having "ice cream" for breakfast again! And there are so many fun things to try in terms of smoothie bowls. I found this recipe at Nutriciously, and I was happy to make it because it was so different than so many other sweet potato-based breakfast offerings. Here, you blend frozen bananas, chilled cooked sweet potato, oats, soy milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and top the mixture with tropical fruits (mine were mango, kiwi, and fresh banana), chia seeds, and some fresh mint. The mint really elevates this, but it will be plenty tasty without it. After a long winter of hot cooked oats, this was a fun way to greet warmer weather.

2. Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (Nut Free)


While it is still reasonable to have the oven on in the mornings, I like to bake muffins and freeze some for the future time when it will be too hot for that and I still want muffins. If you're the sort of person who needs to hide veggies from yourself, here's an option: Shred some zucchini and stick it in a double chocolate muffin! This recipe is from Nora Cooks. I swapped out a third of the flour for whole wheat flour and they still turned out really well. Though these are very chocolatey, they are not overly sweet. Have some fruit salad and a soy latte with one and you'll be set for your day!

3. Mushroom and Arugula Toast with Almond Ricotta (Soy Free)


I usually make ricotta out of tofu and cashews, but that requires planning ahead, and this was spontaneous. So I whipped up some almond ricotta from the recipe from Minimalist Baker and used it in a recipe from Camille Styles for mushroom and arugula toast. This was absolutely delicious. I made  a smoothie to round out the meal.

4. Nutty Apple Pear Crisp (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


When you want a fruity base topped with a nutty oatmeal cookie crust for breakfast, this recipe from Vegan Richa is perfect. Just have it with some non-dairy yogurt instead of ice cream (unless you want ice cream for breakfast, in which case, I make no judgments--sounds delicious!). I loved the combination of apples and pears together here.

5. Pear Raspberry Compote Yogurt Bowl (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


This was originally going to be a baked rice pudding with the pear and berry compote, but then we had a sudden, drastic mid-April heat wave, and there was not going to be any cooking in an oven. So I just made a simple compote of pears and raspberries with a splash of orange juice and had it along with some almond milk yogurt and granola. I enjoyed this with a slice of banana toast and some herbal tea.

6. Krupicová Kaše (Czech Semolina Porridge) (Nut Free)


I gave you a recipe for this a little while ago. Isn't it amazing how many things there are to try in the world? I love this chocolatey, buttery bowl of comfort food.

7. Hazelnut Praline Blended Overnight Oats (Gluten Free)


I don't know why it took me so long to realize that, just as with chia puddings, I would probably actually like overnight oats if they were smooth rather than textured. This recipe is from Early Brawd. It takes a mixture of oats, soy milk, non-dairy yogurt, maple syrup, hazelnut butter, and vanilla and blends it all up until smooth. Then, it is topped with a wonderful chocolate hazelnut praline with just a few ingredients. I put clementine segments on top for a garnish and ate my oats with a Cafix soy latte.

8. Spirulina Hemp Seed Energy Bites (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


Although I love using colorful "superfood" powders, I often forget about them. But they do make for some unusually colored energy bites, so I should explore that more! This recipe is from Wake Up to Waffles. They are delicious as well as vibrantly green. I substituted maple syrup for the honey to veganize the recipe, in part because I can't seem to get vegan honey these days, but the flavors still went together really well and came together to shape into balls perfectly. With the seeds, nuts, oats, peanut butter, and spirulina, they were also a great source of protein in the morning (for me, anyway--check with your doctor for medical advice).

9. Sweet Potato Apple Latkes with Spicy Maple Tahini Drizzle (Soy Free, Nut Free)


This was a recipe I had saved a long time ago that disappeared from the internet. Thank goodness I have ways of finding things again! It originally appeared on Spice and Sprout; now it's just archived helpfully by the Wayback Machine. It was great to have when I found a great deal on sweet potatoes! I used maple syrup in the drizzle as suggested as a honey substitute. The sriracha is amazing in this, so be sure to use it if you have some around! I loved this recipe. Alongside my latkes, I had some mushrooms and spinach sauteed together in a bit of vegan butter, some sliced tomatoes, and two Field Roast breakfast sausages. This was the best savory breakfast I've had in a very long time.

10. Peanut Butter Latte (Gluten Free)


Do you love peanut butter? Have you tried it in latte form? I was guided by this recipe from Joy to the Food, but I used soy milk, vegan honey (an apple and lemon based one), and Cafix. (Okay, that's 75% of the ingredients--but the amounts are the same!) I really enjoyed this and highly recommend it to fellow peanut butter lovers.

 
I'm glad spring is here, with all of its asparagus and artichokes and radishes (and I'd love breakfast recommendations for those!), but I'm still on the lookout for rhubarb, for which I have definite breakfasting plans. Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. Now wondering whether bean brownies could be muffin-ized and have zucchini added to them as well... maybe dial down the sugar, add zucchini for additional moisture, give it a bit of whole wheat flour for structure, and increase baking powder, probably? And now I want to try a chickpea-protein-ed gingerbread-spice carrot-cake muffin and I can't, harrumph...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd imagine you could make white bean blondies with zucchini and pop them in a muffin tin! If you want to, that is. If you do it, let us know how the experiment turns out.

      Delete
  2. Peanut butter latte, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts