Recipe: Krupicová Kaše (Czech Semolina Porridge) (Vegan, Nut Free)

I found a recipe on a non-vegan website and was inspired to make it in my own, vegan way. It's a really nice, quick breakfast and one of the best things I have had in ages! I don't know if I have had much Czech food, so this felt very new to me, but I love having new things.

In America, semolina porridge is known by a few different names--Cream of Wheat, farina, etc. Aside from the obvious, the key to ensuring your breakfast is vegan is to make sure whatever semolina-based porridge you find, it has no added non-vegan ingredients. Check your labels for things like Vitamin D3, which could derive from lanolin (i.e., wool).

This porridge is chocolatey, buttery, and all-around comforting. To me, it was enough to stand on its own with a glass of orange juice, and I was set for the morning.


Krupicová Kaše (Czech Semolina Porridge)
Serves: 1


2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups soy milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
A pinch of salt
3 tablespoons semolina porridge (farina)
1 tablespoon non-dairy butter

Before starting your porridge, mix sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.

Bring milk and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add semolina porridge, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Continue cooking at a low simmer for about 2-3 minutes, until thickened, whisking. Before the porridge has the chance to set in the pan, pour it into a wide bowl.

Sprinkle sugar and cocoa powder mixture evenly over the surface of your porridge. Add butter on top and allow to melt into the porridge.

When the butter has melted, enjoy! I like to sprinkle a bit more salt on the top, but that's up to you.

Comments

  1. I think I have some semolina languishing in the cupboard. This sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I love chocolate flavors at breakfast.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts