Sequestration Meal #561

 


Generally, I don't show you sandwiches in a stand-alone post, but this is worth sharing because you will never guess what is in this sandwich! Here we have Fritos with a veggie-and-seedy parsnip spread sandwich on whole grain bread.

So the sandwich: Avocado, tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, salt, pepper, and the aforementioned seedy parsnip spread (recipe from Tasty Simply Vegan). The spread is made of parsnips cooked with onion in olive oil, which are then blended up with garlic, seasonings, water, and roasted sunflower seeds. Although I love sunflower seed-based things, I don't often make them, because I don't have many recipes for them. But I was looking for parsnip recipes because I was trying to diversify my meals and there it was, so of course I had to make it. This sandwich was so good. It helped that my avocado was absolutely perfect.

It's also allergy friendly--the spread itself is free of all major allergens, and the meal would be if I'd used gluten free bread. But if you need to avoid nuts and soy, this could be perfect. And if you do avoid allergens but are tired of hummus, this would be great for giving you a change of pace. (Heck, it's good for that even if you don't need to avoid allergens but are tired of hummus.)

Do you have a good sunflower seed recipe?

Comments

  1. Oooh, I am intrigued by this recipe. I normally just eat sunflower seeds sprinkled onto my overnight oats. But sunflower seeds and parsnip sounds like a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made as much use of sunflower seeds as a garnish as I should.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts