Sequestration Meal #595

 


This is the kind of avoiding-everything meal that makes me feel clever and smug, even though I didn't fully originate the idea. Some time ago (do no ask me how because I do not know), I ran across a recipe meant for use in American public school cafeterias, "Hash Brown Stackers," by the USDA. The original recipe is for multitudes of course, and it wasn't vegan, but I was intrigued. It sounded like something I could make easily enough in small enough quantities for a single person.

Essentially, you start with a base of cooked frozen hash brown patties. On top of that, you put a mixture of ground beef-style TVP cooked up with some onions. You then add some non-dairy cheddar, chopped dill pickle, and drizzles of mustard and ketchup.

Because this was in burger-and-fries-without-the-bun territory anyway, I made a simple salad with a bit of romaine lettuce and half a roma tomato I had in my fridge, some chives from my window, and a mayo-based vinaigrette. (It's mayo, a bit of apple cider vinegar, some sugar, and salt and pepper--very low key, and a lot less acidic than a traditional vinaigrette.) The salad seemed like burger toppings so I figured everything would go together well, and it definitely did! I really enjoyed this.

I am willing to give the recipe for the hash brown stackers if anyone is interested. Let me know. It's a good thing to make when you're sheltering. I'm not sure how I feel about it being served in school cafeterias, because I have a feeling it's a lot less tasty when made in mass quantity and the ingredients are probably not very high quality. But I think, for a simple meal at home, it's a win.

Comments

  1. Omg this is genius and perfect for a gluten free burger option! I would love the recipe! I bet it would be good as a breakfast version with a white gravy as the sauce. Yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I could definitely see making sausage gravy for this--although I usually make mine with a flour roux.

      Delete
  2. I would love this recipe please. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts