Sequestration Meal #599

 


Sometimes, I make an error in judgment. And although this meal was delicious, I did make an error or two in my judgment!

This is pearl barley risotto (recipe from Vegan Cocotte), sauteed mushrooms with garlic (recipe veganized from Spend with Pennies), and sauteed sugar snap peas (recipe veganized from the Pioneer Woman). Veganizing these recipes just meant substituting vegan butter, no biggie. I loved everything, but out of it all, (as usual) it was the mushrooms that really got me excited, and I would absolutely make them again!

Because the pearl barley risotto is a slow cooker recipe, I didn't try to cut it down, and made the full batch. But that makes a vat of risotto, far more than I can get through easily! I will be freezing some. The sheer quantity is mildly terrifying.

I'd also say that if I made this again I'd cook the veggies a bit more before putting everything in the slow cooker, because the carrots, celery, and onions were still a bit crisp, and that wasn't what I was going for.

But it was good. Spicy, smoky, comforting.

As for sugar snap peas, I bought them because I haven't had them in ages and one can't live on broccoli alone. I like broccoli better, but it's nice to change it up. There was nothing remarkable about this recipe, but it was fine. I'm not sure it went with the risotto, though.

The mushrooms, on the other hand? They were absolutely perfect to go with this spicy risotto, probably in part because they have so much fat in them. (Seriously: So much fat. But greasy mushrooms turned out to be delicious. Who knew?)

If you're looking for gluten-free options, note that barley has gluten, so you'd need to make this with another grain, or skip it. But you can still have the mushrooms!

Comments

  1. Mushrooms make everything good! This reminds me that we are half way through winter and I haven't brought out my slow cooker yet. Though to be honest I have cooked maybe once in the last six weeks. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! Your slow cooker will be there when you're ready for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts