Laptop Lunches #5

A tragic thing happened last night while I was washing the dishes. It's not like I was being violent about it or anything, but the fork from my Laptop Lunches lunchbox snapped in my hand. I took a picture to illustrate its demise.


Well, that explains why the 2.0 version of this lunchbox comes with all-metal utensils. Lucky for me, I am resourceful and into kitchen gadgetry. (Well, obviously. I blog my lunch, for heaven's sake.) So I have a set of cocktail utensils on hand, even though I will never have a cocktail party. Time to pull out the cocktail fork.


It leaves a bit to be desired, but gets the job done, at least until I can justify a new purchase. Alas, I feel quite strapped for cash right now, or I'd be on Amazon right now, ordering 2.0 and accessories as we speak.

On to the business of lunch.



Believe it or not, I got some of my ideas here from Martha Stewart. Don't tell anybody; I've got a reputation as a Very Serious Scholar to uphold here. In any case, Martha's classic book, Entertaining, suggests serving an appetizer made of cream cheese piped onto cucumer slices. So I had the thought, why not make little "sandwiches" out of cucumber slices and cream cheese? That's your first item from top left, clockwise. You also have carrot sticks, leftover bacon-wrapped scallops, fruit salad I made this morning, and a half of an avocado, cut up and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

Lesson #1: Cucumbers, plain and raw, taste like coasters. This is not really a lesson, since I knew that already. If ever I do this again, I will need to salt and pepper the cucumber slices, but that poses a problem. Salt is likely to make the cucumbers watery if I do it in the morning before lunch. So perhaps I need to acquire a tiny salt and pepper shaker set, like they bring you with room service. (I'm open to suggestions.)

Lesson #2: Never buy more than one avocado at once if you live where I live (northeast coast of the U.S.). It's just money down the drain if you don't eat your avocados within two days or so of purchase. I had to throw one out this morning, and I thought to myself, there's $2.50 wasted. It's tragic, really. This particular avocado was on the slightly overripe side, which is what I like, but I know I'll have to eat the other half tomorrow, if at all, because it's edging really quickly toward rotten. I don't recall having this problem when I lived in Texas. Then again, I was known to pay 25 cents for an avocado there. So I don't know.

The astute will note the presence of pineapple. Of course. The pineapple and I have a long way to go together!

All in all, I was pleased with this lunch, though by then I was still mourning the loss of my blue fork.

Comments

  1. Tupperware makes a travel S&P set. You might hzve already solved this problem but I am new to the blog. I love your lunch ideas. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts