Laptop Lunches #6

Another few lessons.


Okay, so I've got organic blue corn chips, homemade guacamole for dipping, carrot sticks with hummus (sorry about the lid), and fruit salad from yesterday dressed with a fruit dip/dressing I have on hand. Also homemade; if it turns up as a dip I'll have more to say about that later.

The guacamole turned out very well. I covered it in plastic wrap, touching the surface, before I closed the box, to prevent browning. I didn't technically have all of the ingredients for a proper guacamole, but it was still really nice. As I learned from the Joy of Cooking guacamole recipe, it works out best if you use a large grater for your veggies, rather than cutting them with a knife. So I am giving you my first recipe:

Guacamole for 1
1/4 firm, red tomato
1/4 small white onion
1/4 jalapeno pepper
1/2 avocado
salt and pepper to taste
lime juice and cilantro, if you have it on hand

Grate the tomato, onion, and jalapeno in a small bowl. Mash the 1/2 of an avocado coarsely with a fork (you don't want it to be perfectly smooth). Add salt and pepper to taste. If you have lime juice and cilantro (I didn't), I'd use about a teaspoon or so of each. Fresh cilantro, please!

Other than that, I learned:

Lesson #1--Fruit salad is hard to salvage on day two, and though it is fine if dressed and eaten right away, if it sits for a while, it's just a sad, mushy, runny pile.

Lesson #2--A small tub of hummus isn't really enough protein. I should have had an egg with this.

Other than that, a victory in the world of lunch. Not so much a victory in the world of the graduate student, but that's a story for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts