Laptop Lunches #109

Leftover summer vegetable gratin (America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2009), a lamb merguez sausage cut into thirds, leftover spanikopita triangles, and petit fours.

I'm not going to pretend this is attractive, or even as much of a nutritional powerhouse as it could be (and probably should be, all things considered). But it was easy and had treats. Right now, that's more what I'm going for than art. Medication is a weird and powerful thing. It was probably a good thing in my case but a few weeks of lethargy and no appetite makes you wonder...so I needed cake. I do so love petit fours, and right now Wegmans is selling them in managable little assortments.

The gratin...well, it wasn't up to the standards I've come to expect from America's Test Kitchen. It was pretty when originally made, if not so gorgeous in this presentation, but that was about all it had going for it. It was super bland and despite all its instructions for leaching water out of the squash and tomatoes, fairly watery. I did like the carmelized onions, but they were overpowered by watery, bland squash and mushy tomato slices. So while I still think their cookbooks are worth every penny, I'd avoid this recipe if I were you. There are pretty and tasty things to do with the same ingredients--like the sqaush/zucchini and tomato tarts I made a few weeks ago.

Live and learn.

Comments

  1. It looks really good. I'm a sucker for spanokopita, and petit fours are awesome. I agree that the gratin isn't as appetizing as your usual dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a sudden craving for spanikopita when I saw your picture. So hard being a fan of them when the other half is not. I'd eat them far more often if he was. Pity about the gratin. Hate when that happens, especially when from such a reputable source.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts