Thermos 3-Tier Bento #34

Garlic toast made with homemade bread (my recipe), steamed broccoli, and what turned out to be an amazing vegan rendition of America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2009's skillet pastitsio. I took a lot of shortcuts with niche ingredients but I think this can be done with mostly basic ingredients available everywhere, so I'm going to tweak it a bit more before you get my version.

Pastitsio is a bit like a Greek lasagna, which looks quite complicated to make as a casserole, but as a skillet version it's more like sophisticated Hamburger Helper--perfectly doable for the frail of body like me. When I first made this recipe as an omnivore, I thought the reason I loved it had a lot to do with the lamb, but having had more veganizing experiences I suspected the reason I loved it had more to do with the spices (nutmeg, cinnamon), the layering of other flavors as the pasta cooks in the garlicky tomato sauce, and the creaminess (I used the new vegan half-and-half by Coffee Mate to accomplish that this time around, but I'll be experimenting with coconut milk and/or cashew cream next time). I substituted Follow Your Heart non-dairy Parmesan for the romano cheese in the original recipe and it did the job admirably.

Broccoli was 99 cents a pound this time around so prepare to see a lot of it.

Comments

  1. Yay for a sale on broccoli! That is a great price and it adds such a nice pop of green. Garlic toast sounds so good right now. I may have to make that very soon! I've heard of pastitsio before but never really knew what it was or the flavor profile. It sounds really great and I like that you adapted it to make it easier for you. This is a really great looking meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the flavor is close to an Italian pasta but different enough that it seems nothing like it.

      Delete
  2. Don’t think i have ever tried pastitsio- yours sounds delicious! I didn’t realize coffeemate had a vegan half and half, there’s so much nyc groceries just don’t have due to space issues. I’ll keep an eye out for it.
    Cheap broccoli is exciting! I love it every which way-i made a little raw broccoli salad last week that was nice and summery.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vegan half and half from Coffee Mate is new! You may or may not see it, but there are other brands--Ripple and Better Half.

      Delete
  3. Yay pastitsio! I really like it.
    That is such a great price for broccoli. Because of crappy weather (drought, then floods), it is so expensive here at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great price. I am paying a lot more attention to produce prices these days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts