10 More Vegan Breakfast Ideas

In September for VeganMoFo, I showed you some of my breakfasts. Well, that was fun, so how about some more? I'm still on my mini vacation so no packed lunch to show you but this should tide you over.

1. Nutty Banana Chocolate English Muffins

This combination could easily go on more or less any type of toasted bread, but it's delightful on English muffins: Vegan chocolate hazelnut spread (I use Justin's), sliced bananas, and shredded coconut. I can't tell you what exactly about this makes it magical. I only know it is.

2. Yogurt and Granola Parfait

I was never someone who ate yogurt regularly, and the fact that non-dairy yogurt is significantly more expensive than dairy yogurt doesn't inspire me to get it very often, but when I find it on sale I do grab some. I tend to doctor it up rather than eating it alone. This was berry flavored almond yogurt served over granola and topped with freeze dried strawberries, shredded coconut, and mini chocolate chips. It was a decadent breakfast, and lovely for an occasional treat.

3. Zucchini Walnut Bread

This zucchini bread was a mini loaf version of the recipe at It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken. Zucchini bread is confusing, because it doesn't taste anything like zucchini. It just tastes sweet and moist and wonderful. I like to spread it with a vegan margarine.

4. Bagels with Cheesy Onion Spread

This is a super easy spread for a more savory breakfast: Just mix non-dairy cream cheese with chopped red onion, scallions, and capers. I like it on mini bagels (I think I'm always drawn to food in miniature for whatever reason) but it would work just as well on a full sized one.

5. Cranberry Apple Toast

I love plain buttered toast (with margarine, of course, but there's no such word as margarined), but you need something a little more substantial if toast is the main event. Vegans stereotypically eat avocado toast but that's just one possibility. This toast has almond butter, thinly sliced apples, and dried cranberries, but you could easily sub non-dairy cream cheese or any other nut butter for the almond butter to change it up a little.

6. Tofu Scramble

Tofu scramble is a vegan staple, and if you're vegan you've probably eaten it a zillion times. I'm sharing this here in case we have any aspiring or new vegans among us (or people who might want to moonlight as vegans sometimes). I remember the first time I ever saw a recipe for it that had a photo and how excited I was, because I used to love scrambled eggs and it seemed so...eggy! It is, in many ways. Tofu scramble needs more help with flavor than scrambled eggs, though, so I usually add veggies, maybe some non-dairy cheese, and various seasonings depending on my mood. Ketchup is usually a good addition, too. It's great for those mornings I need something savory and more substantial. You can find a few hundred recipes online if you want inspiration and instructions. When I feel I have perfected my own recipe, I'll happily add mine to the corpus.

7. Blueberry Coconut Muffins

Blueberry muffins may be standard breakfast food, but did you ever think of adding coconut to them? I followed the directions for the vegan version of the recipe by Two Peas and Their Pod. It's a whole new way to have blueberry muffins and every bit as easy to whip up. On this morning, I had the muffin with some orange slices and a handful of smoked almonds to balance the meal a bit.

8. Beans on Toast

Although the English eat beans for breakfast all the time, we Americans tend not to. But we should! It's pretty quick and very easy to warm up baked beans and spoon them over some toast, and if you like beans and you like toast, what's not to like about beans and toast together?

9. Vegan Orange Julius

I make this recipe for vegan Orange Julius from Vegan Yumminess pretty frequently, not just for breakfast. I've also branched out and used other frozen juice concentrates in it, but orange is my favorite because of the creamsicle flavor it has. I sometimes substitute a frozen banana for the ice cubes if I want something more substantial, and that's nice, too. It makes it seem more like breakfast that way.

10. Mushroom Frittata 

This mushroom frittata was loosely based on a recipe found in America's Test Kitchen's Vegan for Everybody. I served it with some grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and broccoli-cauliflower tots. This is another savory option for days you're in the mood to have the oven on and have breakfast at your leisure.

Comments

  1. This is exactly the post I needed, I've been struggling with breakfast boredom lately! I love breakfast the most and have been completely uninspired so I'll have to take these suggestions! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about feeling uninspired! I discovered a while ago that it seemed to save me money not to make my default breakfast cereal and soy milk even though it seemed like it SHOULD be cheaper to eat that. Maybe because it's a way I eat up stuff that needs to be eaten? Who knows. So I guess I was inspired by being cheap. Anyway, I hope you share your apple crumble recipe someday soon, because that looked like a great breakfast!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts