Temari Rabbit 2-Tier Bento #114

An improvisational corn/tomato/avocado/cucumber salad with an equally improvisational mock crab and pasta salad.

I've made what feels like a zillion variations on the corn and tomato salad, all delightful, all worth repeating. There are several in my recipe index if you're interested in the basic idea; this one uses cilantro in the dressing and as a garnish.

The pasta salad was just the rest of the Viet Vegan's mock crab salad with some tricolor rotini and a bit of extra dressing (if I remember correctly, it was more mayo thinned with soy milk and seasoned with salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder). I garnished it with scallions for an extra pop of green.

This felt like the sort of meal one might have had at Souper Salad long ago. (I wouldn't know what they serve now, having not been in one since I left Oklahoma). One of my favorites there, pre-vegan, was something they called "Tuna Skroodle," and this pasta salad was a lot like that one. I didn't really plan this at all, given that I threw this together from stuff I had left over, but it was extremely satisfying.

Comments

  1. That corn tomato salad thing sounds so refreshing! I’ve never heard of a skroodle before but certainly tuna pasta salad was common enough- not something we ever made at home but seemed to be at potlucks and such. What a fun happy accident you made it!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they just called it "skroodle" but apparently it's a thing! I Googled and there are lots of skroodle recipes. But it seems to just be another name for rotini.

      Delete
  2. Oh man I need some of that corn salad in my life. It looks so vibrant and I'm sure it was really refreshing! It would be a perfect summer meal and I definitely will need that in my life when it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Yes, it's best in the summer but with frozen corn and grape tomatoes being cheap year-round I can make it anytime.

      Delete
  3. That looks pretty great for an improvised lunch.
    Skroodle is such a fun word! I've googled it now and no it means corkscrew noodle, which takes some of the magic away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't tell anyone that, though, maybe it's still magical!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts