Skater Lunch Box #55

An attempt to veganize the recipe for Sausage Dinner with Polenta and Mushrooms in America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2010 and some strawberries.

I always want polenta to turn out better for me than it does. The TVP sausage and veggies had good flavor here but I was not so keen on my polenta. But I think maybe I can make it better when I try again. I'm kicking myself for not using my instincts and instead following a recipe's suggestions to make the polenta with water. Broth would be an almost definite improvement.

Strawberries were on sale. I was really excited; it's been way too long since I had them!

Comments

  1. Polenta with broth definitely does add better flavour. And sometimes I will stir through a little bit of nooch as well. I love cheesy polenta the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutritional yeast would definitely help! But that never occurred to me. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for strawberries! I have been craving summer fruit for a while now so I'm definitely jealous! What a great treat! I don't think I've ever cooked polenta but Susan's suggestions sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grits are easier than polenta but just not as creamy; you may not have made grits, either, though so that may not help.

      And these were good strawberries! I was worried that winter strawberries would taste too tart or something but these were actually delightfully sweet.

      Delete
  3. Those strawberries sound really exciting! Although i have less self control and would have eaten three easily just while packing my lunch ;))
    Polenta needs a lot of help. Definitely better made with some broth or better than bullion and water, and yes even better with a good amount of nooch and a blob of butter. A heavy hand with some fresh black pepper is nice too. I feel like it’s more creamy if you mix the crap out of it as cooking, but could be my imagination
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you really need to deprive yourself of strawberries, though, do you?

      I think you're right about constant stirring, too. It'll be a while before I attempt polenta again, but I do know it turns out creamier with more vigorous stirring all the time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts