Laptop Lunches #318

Garlicky white beans and spinach, orange slices, basic rice pilaf, and a riff on the Scandinavian cucumber salad in Cookery for 1 or 2.

This meal came from my not having been shopping in a while. The cucumbers have been appearing a lot because they were on the verge of going bad, but I was tired of plain sliced cucumbers so I made this salad. It was really nice and I will definitely have more of it. I didn't put as much of any of the dressing ingredients as the book called for, just enough to coat the vegetables, and I put minimal salt in until I was ready to eat it. That kept the salad nice and crisp.

The beans were good but I used to make this sort of meal with bacon, and I missed it, so I now have bacon cravings.

Comments

  1. I love cucumber but I tend to just eat it sliced and plain. But I should make some more salads with them, they are so lovely and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do a lot with cucumbers! They can adjust to many different flavors.

      Delete
  2. For a meal coming from not shopping in a while it certainly looks fresh and delicious and colorful! The beans and greens dish sounds really good, I'm definitely going to have to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The main dish doesn't require much in the way of truly fresh things, because it is largely based around frozen spinach and a can of beans. And rice is obviously pretty shelf-stable. I had to use onions and garlic, but they last a long time.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great lunch; the garlicky white beans and spinach in particular sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good combination! Next time I plan to put bacon in and see if it's all I remember it being.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts