Temari Rabbit 2-Tier Bento #116

This is more of the cucumber salad with spicy Asian dressing, but it had hung out in the fridge for a while so it got a bit dark, some veggie-tofu dumplings from my freezer, and an improvisational dipping sauce.

I'm almost embarrassed to show you this because, well, how many times have you seen this same meal? So I'll make this post a little less redundant with some of the stories I've collected in the realm of unusual medicine.

I had to get blood tests the typical lab can't do, so I have now had the experience of a phlebotomist coming to me at work to get my blood and put it in a special container and ship it to a specialty lab many states away from me, and I have to wait six weeks to get the results. Although this is weird and rather expensive, it is so much nicer to have the tech come to you than to have to go to the lab. Blood tests are really pretty quick, actually, but you usually have to go somewhere and wait around and ultimately it takes a good 90 minutes. I didn't even have to take off work for that one!

Also, even the local lab, when they do tests for me, are doing things they're not so familiar with doing. I just had a blood test that had to go into a chilled test tube that was then put immediately on ice for transport across the room to a freezer. So that was new, dramatic, and honestly kind of entertaining. The techs are pretty confused by some of the instructions that come with these tests. At least we're all learning new things together!

I've developed vasovagal syncope, though, so now I nearly pass out every time someone comes at me with a needle, so on top of all these adventures I have to lie down for blood draws and drink lots of water before they let me stand up. It's weird, because it definitely isn't a case where I get scared or anything, and the sight of my blood doesn't bother me. But they tell me it's a normal thing. Certainly they're more familiar with people passing out than having to do the super-cold-environment thing (I don't fully understand that, since my blood is going to heat the chilled test tube immediately, I presume?).

Honestly, though, I have been physically pretty good for a while. It's more an emotional thing, me rebelling against cooking. I'm working on it. We'll see.

Comments

  1. I eat the same things all the time, it looks amazing and I would eat it often as well! I'm sure that cucumber salad is nice and refreshing along with the dumplings.

    Oh wow, that's great that they were able to come to you to collect the blood, especially when you have to be so careful with passing out. That's great that you didn't have to miss work at well, although sometimes a break is nice (it's just when it gets to be too much of a break I guess). As far as not wanting to cook, it's totally ok to take breaks, even if you are ok physically. Sometimes the emotional stuff can be more difficult to overcome than the physical stuff so just continue to be patient and kind to yourself and the rest will follow <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I miss a lot of work to go to doctors and it's super annoying, so I was glad to have something different.

      Delete
  2. That is great that they could come to you for some of the tests! I am a needlephobe (I always need to lie down so I don't faint) and honestly getting there and then sitting in the waiting room just ramps up my terror! Silly coming from a cat vet who routinely gives cats injections and takes their blood with no concerns at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have put a warning on this post for the squeamish! I would be afraid of giving a cat an injection or drawing blood from one--cats get pretty scary when they're mad!

      Delete
    2. They sure can be! Thankfully I have amazing vet nurses I trust a lot, and the ability to sedate if it comes to it! Still, I have some scars from cranky cats!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts