Sequestration Meal #597

 


I had concluded I was in a Mexican-style food rut, so here's a bit of a shakeup: Mexican rice, some vegan charro beans (from a can), Mexican-style okra (recipe from Mexican Made Meatless), a basic Daiya cheddar quesadilla, homemade guacamole, Tofutti sour cream, and cilantro.

The one error I made here was not realizing one of my okra pods was too mature and thus inedible; I was fishing out tough okra bits. But other than that, I thought this was great! And it had been way too long since I'd had okra. I have been trying to get some for a while, since it was in season, and here we are! The Mexican-style preparation was certainly different, but I enjoyed the kick of the jalapeno. I will say that the recipe called for way more salt than is necessary (even though I like salty things), so I'd recommend cutting the salt down if you make it.

These charro beans were a great alternative to refried beans, because I'm still not having luck finding refried beans that excite me. But this brand may have some promising options (Siete). Stay tuned.

I think I have too much tomato in my guacamole but can you really fault me for that? Tomatoes are awesome! It was great.

Comments

  1. You can never have too much h summer tomato! This meal looks lovely. I've never heard of charro beans but now I'm curious! Yoh definitely can't go wrong with quesadillas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charro beans traditionally have meat in them, but I saw some vegan ones and snapped them up. (The can I bought doesn't add meat substitutes; it just flavors the beans.) They're essentially flavored pinto beans. These particular ones were very tomato-heavy, but in a really nice way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts