Happy Jackson Snack Boxes #56

If you're just joining me from VeganMoFo, welcome! This is actually a more typical post from me: A packed lunch, every day. I know it's Labor Day, but there is usually a slight lag in when I eat the lunch and when you see the lunch, and I had a bit of a backlog, anyway, which is working out wonderfully for this month.

Zesty Mini Bell Pepper Salad from Natasha's Kitchen, some chopped strawberries, chocolate hazelnut energy balls (recipe below), and what is essentially a very old school Waldorf salad made with vegan mayo, lemon juice, and salt and pepper (Waldorf salad was originally just apples and celery in a mayonnaise dressing; the grapes and walnuts were a later, if welcome, addition).

By sheer accident, I made another gluten free lunch! Go figure. (Most of my gluten free lunches are accidents but I like to point it out when they are because some people have found that helpful.)

I really liked this bell pepper salad, though I wouldn't normally suggest eating quite so much of it. It's a good, colorful side to have in your back pocket, though, for hot days you don't feel like cooking (will fall ever arrive?).

The chocolate hazelnut oat bites are a take on my no-bake peanut butter chocolate chip coconut bites made with Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread. Feel free to use another vegan chocolate hazelnut spread if you have one; I've only ever found this one.

Also: I did not eat five at a time. But I packed all this together because packing a separate snack when I'm packing snack boxes for lunch anyway just seems weird.

Chocolate Hazelnut Oat Bites
Makes six balls

3 tablespoons shredded coconut (sweet or not, whatever you prefer)
3 tablespoons rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread (I used Justin's)
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Stir coconut, oats, and flax seed together in a medium bowl; set aside. In another bowl, blend chocolate hazelnut spread and maple syrup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well. Roll into six small balls.

Comments

  1. Oooh, those chocolate hazelnut oat bites sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That box looks so pretty and thanks for the oat bite recipe! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts