Laptop Lunches #300

Skillet bulgur-mushroom casserole (recipe below), an attempt at veganizing a mixed berry Oklahoma cobbler, green beans, and carrots.

I've been trying to revisit the omnivore cookbooks I used before I went vegan and remaking recipes as vegan recipes. I never actually made the bulgur casserole as an omnivore but it looked really good and also easy to veganize, so I tried it. It's really good! Creamy comfort food. And if you're looking for budget recipes, bulgur is very cheap. Actually, everything here was really cheap.

As for the attempt to veganize the Oklahoma cobbler, for whatever reason, the fruit didn't sink. In Oklahoma and Texas, cobbler is often put in the oven with the fruit on top and it sinks to the bottom while it cooks. I think I need to swap soy milk for almond or something in this recipe; I don't know. But it tasted good, and maybe I won't bother to change it, because it's kind of pretty with the fruit on top. What would I call it then? Mixed berry cake?

This recipe is adapted from Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You) by Frances Price.

Skillet Bulgur-Mushroom Casserole
Serves: 2-3

1 tablespoon vegan butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I use Baby Bella for these; brown mushrooms are a good, earthy choice for this recipe)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or shallots
2 cups chicken-style veggie broth
1/2 cup bulgur
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Dash of pepper, or to taste
Non-dairy sour cream (optional)

In a heavy nonstick skillet with a lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms give up their liquid. Don't dry them out--the bulgur will soak up the mushroom water.

Stir in broth and turn up the heat to bring it to a boil. After it boils, add bulgur, thyme, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or the liquid is absorbed and the bulgur is tender.

You can serve it as is--it's quite flavorful this way--or if you need a bit more creaminess or you're just in the mood, stir in up to 1/4 cup of non-dairy sour cream.

Comments

  1. Oooh the casserole sounds delicious and the mixed berry cobbler/cake is exactly what I need in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts