Insulated Jar & Sides #40

Tarragon cucumber salad, baked beans, and macaroni salad. The beans are canned; I am having a hard time. But this salad was easy and I could make a big batch to get me through the week.

A while ago, I started getting a hankering (somewhat less than a craving) for the deli macaroni salad sold in nearly every grocery store across America. So I found a recipe to veganize, and here we are! This tastes like I remember that tasting. It's not quite as saucy as that sometimes was, but you can always double the dressing if you want it saucier.

I put parsley on it as a garnish, but that's totally optional.

Classic Macaroni Salad
Serves 4-6

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup vegan mayo (I used reduced fat Vegenaise)
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 mini sweet peppers, chopped, or 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 small carrot, grated
Parsley for garnish (optional)

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again.

Meanwhile, whisk mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt and pepper.

Combine macaroni and vegetables with dressing.

Chill for an hour or overnight to meld flavors. When serving/packing, garnish with parsley.


Comments

  1. Oooh it looks great! I like the container too. I'm sorry that you are not feeling well and struggling. Sending lots of virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Just adjusting still, I think. But macaroni salad heals many things.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Your macaroni salad looks delicious, and that's great that you made a big batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it definitely takes some of the stress away when you know you at least have one major meal component taken care of already.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts