Sequestration Meal #63

My first "Sequestration Meal" was a Frito chili pie. In that, I used canned chili, but I didn't have any this time. What I did have was a small bag of Fritos given to me by a friend, and the knowledge that there is no better way to eat Fritos than in Frito chili pie.

So I made chili. I don't often make chili but I probably should; it's not that hard and the product of my efforts is a lot better than what comes out of a can. The protein here is TVP and red beans, cooked with tomatoes (grape tomatoes going wrinkly), onions, red and yellow bell pepper, garlic, and a mix seasonings suggested in an omnivore recipe I found at The Wholesome Dish.

I still had a bit of Daiya and non-dairy sour cream, and that plus some sliced olives, diced tomato, and scallions made a nice topping.

It was a wonderfully satisfying meal. And hey, two and a half months later, I'm still okay. I still have my job, I have figured out how to get food, and I haven't completely lost my mind.

I had the leftover chili once over rice with similar toppings, and once as a very different kind of chili pie.

This is something I've always loved: kind of a chili pot pie! It has chili in the bottom and the crust is cornbread baked on top. Also, this gave me an excuse to use my single-serve enameled cast iron casserole dish, which doesn't get out of the cabinet nearly often enough. You can add more toppings (like sour cream, cheese, etc.) but I just ate it as it was.

Comments

Popular Posts