Sequestration Meal #316

 A follow up on email subscriptions: I am working with a new service to provide email subscriptions to those of you who still want to follow me by email (or who might in the future). It may take a few days for everything to migrate over. If you want to subscribe on your own in advance of that (or for the first time ever!), look for the new widget on the left. Bear in mind that you can still follow via Blogger, RSS feed, and Facebook, too, as well as email.

Most of the time, if I make fried rice, it's because I have rice that is already cooked that is left over from something else. This time, I deliberately cooked extra rice (as you would have seen in my "What I Ate in a Day" post from a few days ago) because I wanted to make this pineapple fried rice from Vegan Huggs.

This was amazing! It would probably have been better with fresh pineapple, but the canned pineapple in my pantry was why I sought out recipes involving pineapple, so it has fulfilled its purpose. I wasn't sure about having the dry roasted cashews with this (I just roasted them in the pan before I got started on the other things) but I did know I wanted more protein in it and I do have a big bag of cashew pieces I bought via mail order some time ago (cashews being, as we all know, vegan staples), so I went ahead and added them. I also wasn't fully sure I wanted the spice from the red pepper flakes but I was feeling adventurous so I threw them, and I was so glad I did. The complexity of flavors was really delightful. I would serve this to company, if we were ever having company these days, perhaps with some simply prepared tofu and some steamed broccoli or something.

I really need to stop planning imaginary dinner parties...

Anyway, this fulfilled the requirements of my current season of pantry-clearing, since it used that can of pineapple, the cashews, and rice. I don't absolutely think the rice or cashews count because I'd be likely to replace those when I ran out under most circumstances, even if I didn't have obvious plans for them, but eh, they have to get eaten and I do have them in kind of large quantities at the moment, so we'll say that they half-count.

I know some people don't like the combination of pineapple and savory things, but I always have; I suspect if you are anti-Hawaiian pizza you would also be anti-pineapple fried rice. What camp are you in?

Comments

  1. I am firmly pro pineapple in savoury food. I love pineapple on pizza, in burgers, on fried rice, in certain curries... there are a lot of ways it can be used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I think I have seen people put pineapple on burgers, but I haven't tried it yet. Next time I have some, that's worth doing!

      Delete
    2. Pineapple is a fairly common option to add to burgers in Australia. As is slices of tinned beetroot. In fact, a classic 'Aussie' burger has bacon, eggs, beetroot, and pineapple on it as well as the patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, and sometimes pickles.

      Delete
    3. That's a lot going on! Pineapple on burgers here is not that uncommon, but it's just not something I've tried. I think they're often called "Aloha burgers" because we associate pineapples with Hawaii.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts