Sequestration Meal #323

 

One of the habits I'm trying to start is sticking to a schedule for grocery shopping, which can mean things get interesting just before I go. Right now I'm trying to go on Friday evenings so I'm set when the weekend hits to do my cooking. But Thursday rolled around, and I was out of most leftovers, and my brain just wasn't settling down to the idea that I had food, so I spent some time shopping in my kitchen in the evening beforehand and planned out this soup, which turned out to be really great and kept me to my proper schedule.

Raid-the-fridge soup can't be duplicated, really, but most of my versions start in similar ways, so I'll go ahead and tell you what was in it to see if it inspires you.

Step 1: Chop that last bit of an onion you have, along with the celery getting limp and a sad carrot. Throw that in a pan with some olive oil to start cooking. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper.

Step 2: Chop a clove of garlic and those two last mushrooms you have in the fridge, and throw them in.

Step 3: At almost the last minute, remember that you were going to toss in some frozen broccoli. Put the broccoli in the pan just long enough for it to be soft enough to chop into smaller bits, then fish it out, chop it, and put it back.

Step 4: Add three cups of water, 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning, and a tablespoon of Better than Bouillon No Chicken. Bring to a boil.

Step 5: Add 1/2 cup of soy curls from the bottom of the bag (these little bits are best for soup). Boil for 5 minutes, then add 1 cup of cooked rice. Boil for another 3-5 minutes.

Step 6: Stir in the last 1/3 cup or so of homemade mushroom soup you have left over from earlier this week. Heat through, taste to ensure the veggies are cooked and the soy curls are hydrated, and ladle the soup into a bowl.

Step 7: Stir in a pat of Earth Balance and shake in some Mrs. Dash in your bowl, and allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir again to be sure the butter is distributed. Eat.

Refrigerate leftovers.

Happy inventing!

Comments

  1. I love the idea of shopping the kitchen.
    And this recipe made me laugh, especially the frozen broccoli bit.
    You are the best at using up bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I can entertain!

      There is so much to be said for shopping in your kitchen.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts